Frederick Charles "Freddy" Krueger is a fictional character from the A Nightmare on Elm Street series of horror films. He first appears in Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) as a disfigured dream stalker who uses a glove armed with razors to kill his victims in their dreams which ultimately results in their death in the real world. However, whenever he is put into the real world, he has normal human vulnerability.
He was created by Wes Craven, and has been consistently portrayed by Robert Englund since his first appearance. In the 2010 remake, however, Krueger is portrayed by Academy Award-nominee Jackie Earle Haley. Krueger is an undead man, and can attack his victims from within their own dreams. He is commonly identified by his burned, disfigured face, red and dark green striped sweater, brown fedora, and trademark metal-clawed brown leather glove. Wizard Magazine rated him the 14th greatest villain, the British television channel Sky2 listed him 8th, and the American Film Institute ranked him 40th on its "AFI's 100 Years 100 Heroes and Villains" list. Robert Englund has said many times that he feels that the character represents neglect, particularly that which is suffered by children. The character also more broadly represents subconscious fears. For example, England is on record as saying that in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, Freddy represents the main character's repressed homosexual desires.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Freddy is powerless while in the real world. While in the dreams of others he possesses seemingly limitless power.
- Dream Manipulation - Freddy have control over the dream world.
- Dream Walking - Freddy's chief ability is his power to invade people's dreams.
- Nightmare Imprisonment - Freddy can imprison people in their nightmares.
- Shape-Shifting - While in dreams, Freddy can change his form.
- Voice Mimicry - Freddy can immitate another person's voice.
- Astral Projection - Freddy can "project" his shadow to attack people'
- Teleportation - Freddy can teleport instantly.
- Healing Factor - Freddy can regrow severed limbs.
- Reality Warping - Freddy can control the environment of the dreams he invades.
- Intangibility - Freddy sometimes uses this ability to walk or run through walls or doors.
- Size Alteration - In the dreams, Freddy can change his size.
- Soul Absorption - After killing his victims, Freddy can absorb souls and become more powerful.
- Invulnerability - In the Dream World, Freddy doesn't feel any pain even cutting himself.
- Elasticity - Freddy can stretch his arms.
- Possession - Freddy can possess the bodies of people.
- Prehensile Tongue - Freddy can stretch his tongue.
- Wall-crawling - Freddy can walk on walls.
- Media Jumping - Freddy is able to enter into TV shows.
- Book Jumping - Freddy is able to enter into comic books.
- Blood Manipulation - Freddy can manipulate and generate blood.
- Fear Empowerment - Freddy can grow more powerful with people's fear.
- Freddy is a DLC bonus character in the 2011 remake of the game Mortal Kombat.